The large Central Buchan village of Strichen has a population of around 1200 and lies on the East bank of the North Ugie water in a sheltered valley, some 8 miles South West of Fraserburgh. Regarded by many as the cultural capital of the area, it became one of the most successful of around 20 planned villages developed in Buchan.
The Strichan stone circle, which can be found three quarters of a mile South West of the village on the summit of a low hill, shows that a farming community has existed in this part of Buchan at least 4 thousand years. Timothy Pont’s map of the area, produced in about 1600, showed that a tower house here, as well as two mills operating on the North Ugie Water. At the time Strichen formed part of large parish centred on Rathen, more than half way to Fraserburgh. This changed in
1633 when Strichen was made a Parish in it’s own right